Press and Media PR Manager who has significant experience working within front-line media role with experience managing a busy press office and reputation / crisis management is required to join our team at The Food & Drink Federation, based in Bloomsbury, London.
SALARY: £40,000 - £50,000 per annum
LOCATION: Bloomsbury, London
JOB TYPE: Full-Time, Permanent
We’re the Food and Drink Federation (FDF) - the voice of the UK food and drink industry: the largest manufacturing sector in the country. We help our members operate in a highly regulated marketplace to maximise their competitiveness and profitability. Our job is to communicate our industry's values and concerns to Government, regulators, consumers and the media. We also work in partnership with key players in the food supply chain to ensure our food is safe, affordable and nutritious.
Working as the Press and Media PR Manager (known within our organisation as a Media Manager) you will have an exciting opportunity to lead the media team at the Food and Drink Federation (FDF), the representative body of the UK’s largest and most vibrant manufacturing sector. As a new Chief Executive prepares to take the helm of the FDF, the challenges and opportunities facing the industry are varied, from the COVID-19 economic recovery, to the creation of a National Food Strategy, and adapting to new trade relationships.
As the Press and Media PR Manager, this role is crucial in managing FDF’s media relations and external communications strategy, ensuring there is a clear and compelling voice for the industry. As the Press and Media PR Manager you will deliver a ‘best in class’ media team which commands the confidence of FDF members and the media.
As the Press and Media PR Manager you will:
Communications Planning and Delivery
- Work with the FDF’s senior leaders, Corporate Affairs and policy colleagues to develop and deliver the media and PR strategy for the FDF
- Prepare, execute and support the development of proactive media plans for key industry issues setting out clear objectives, strategy, messaging, and target audience to ensure maximum value for the FDF and its members
- Be responsible for day to day work and performance of the FDF media team, including allocating roles and responsibilities and ensuring they are supported in the delivery of their duties
- Work closely with the Director of Policy and Corporate Affairs and Head of Corporate Affairs to ensure the FDF’s position is well represented to the media at all times
- Manage the FDF’s busy press office. Delegate or handle media queries, seeking advice from specific FDF colleagues as appropriate or external organisations, alerting and involving the Public Affairs Manager/ Head of Corporate Affairs, and other senior colleagues as necessary
- Lead and maintain a media contact and external relations programme to deliver productive relationships with journalists and relevant stakeholders
- Provide advice and support to the devolved nations, working with FDF Scotland and FDF Cymru colleagues
- Provide a 24-hour on call media service for FDF, to ensure we are able to communicate the FDF’s position to the media/public at all times. This includes supporting other members of the Media Team in handling out-of-hours enquiries at times other than their own allocated duty week
- Develop the FDF press notices, position statements, media responses and letters to the editor for relevant campaigns, and oversee those produced by others in the Media Team, in consultation with the Head of Corporate Affairs and other appropriate FDF colleagues and stakeholders
- Demonstrate political awareness in the preparation of media commentary – working with public affairs colleagues
- Monitor the FDF’s social media, including proactive planning, working with other teams within the FDF to gather intelligence and information for posts
- Provide advice for member associations and FDF committees/groups on media issues of concern to FDF and on specific issues relating to their sectors and additionally act as a source of advice on media issues to all FDF staff and members
- Ensure that databases, licenses, contacts lists and monitoring processes are kept up to date and meet the organisation’s need
- Supervise the production of copy for newsletters
- Assess the organisation’s need for, and oversee media training for FDF colleagues
- Attend external meetings as the FDF representative where required representing the position of the FDF and /or its members at those meetings
- To lead and participate in journalist briefings with the FDF’s policy experts and cultivate relationships with journalists with the aim of raising the FDF’s profile and enhance the organisations status as a go-to organisation for expert opinion
FDF’s Corporate Affairs team ensures we and our members have strong and constructive relationships across the UK Government, Parliament, and the media. This enables us to showcase FDF’s policy work for political and media stakeholders seeking expertise on UK food and drink issues and ensures our members’ issues are at the forefront of the public policy agenda.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent experience in a relevant discipline
- Significant experience of working in a front-line media role
- Strong experience of managing a busy press office
- Experience of reputation management and crisis management
- Experience of managing challenging portfolio areas and contentious issues
- Line management experience helpful
- Able to manage own workload and complex projects at the same time
- Able to respond positively to change and to work in a flexible and adaptable manner
- Good at building trusted relationships internally and externally and working effectively with colleagues
- A persuasive communicator with excellent writing and editing skills
- Ability to plan resources and timescales
- Strong administrative and IT skills
Please note this role will involve the need to occasionally attend events at the weekend or evening and to manage media response to incidents out of hours.
FDF is a great place to work where we take wellbeing seriously and have a great benefits package to match, offering a pension scheme, life insurance, 25 days holiday, private healthcare, leisure travel insurance, gym subsidy, interest-free season ticket loan and cycle-to-work scheme.
We’re based in the heart of central London in a modern, bright open-plan office. We have a friendly work culture with great break-out spaces, quiet booths and opportunities for flexible-working. Our ‘Feel Good for Life’ team regularly organises events and activities to promote positive health and wellbeing.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this job vacancy, please submit your CV to our Recruitment Team who will review your details. CV’s of Job Applicants meeting this requirement will be submitted to our Client for consideration. By submitting your job application to us you are hereby giving us your express consent to submit your details to our Client for this purpose.
JOB REF: AWDO-P7395
This job is being advertised by AWD online on behalf of the Food & Drink Federation.