Learning Mentor / Student Support professional with experience working with young people within an educational setting required for a leading specialist vocational college based in London.
SALARY: £18,000 - £21,000 per annum
WORKING HOURS: 40 Hours per Week (will include some Saturdays and/or evenings)
We have an excellent opportunity for a Learning Mentor / Student Support professional that has experience working with young people within an educational 1-to-1 and group work settings.
Working as the Learning Mentor / Student Support professional you will deliver and implement dedicated support through a variety of means, and ensure each learner/applicant ascertains successful progression through the College into sustained further or higher education and/or employment.
As the Learning Mentor / Student Support professional you will take responsibility for providing and engaging learners in appropriate learning support activities. You will also be a key member of the welfare and safeguarding team, specifically with regards to directly supporting the learning process for learners with identified needs both individually and in groups. You will also form part of the Safeguarding team as a designated safeguarding person.
Successful candidates will join the Education and Training Department, which is friendly, fast paced and an enjoyable team to work within. This department is responsible for providing a high standard of teaching, learning and assessment, together with professional development to all learners from a wide variety of backgrounds. This is done through a wide range of different courses and support strategies.
In order to achieve high standards all members of the Education and Training Department are required and encouraged to develop and maintain up to date industry knowledge through further training and self-development.
If this job looks like your ideal position then please send in your CV as soon as possible for our Recruitment Team to review.
- To assist one or several learners to aid their learning, support attendance, retention, progression and achievement of learners
- To support learners and staff with a variety of additional learning needs including Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, ASD, ADHD, and ESOL
- To support the work of the E&T Team to develop and deliver individual and group sessions relating to learner support and the development of learning strategies
- To assist teaching staff and learners in adapting learning materials and using learning support resources and accessible technologies, including word processing of notes where necessary and aid legibility and clarity
- To accurately maintain up to date and learning support records within the department, both computerised and manual, to support internal and external requirements and meet confidentiality/data protection regulations
- Liaise with tutors and other external support services to identify and follow-up issues relating to attendance
- Act as one of the E&D champions. Maintain the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion log, ensuring SMT and all staff informed of incidents and actions taken
- Support the delivery of staff training regarding ALS and Welfare concerns, ensure teaching staff and appropriate others are appraised of relevant issues respecting learner confidentiality at all times
- Maintain accurate and comprehensive records of learners being supported and keep a log of all activity, progression and outcomes, producing termly and annual reports
- Support at times with the financial support process, keeping records up to date and assessing eligibility to receive support
- Act as a designated Safeguarding person and follow safeguarding policy and procedures
- Develop knowledge of internal and external benefits system including housing, welfare and financial support services in order to effectively implement the learner Financial Support process and procedures
- Ensuring policies and procedures for ALS, welfare and Equality, Diversity and Inclusion are kept up to date and are effectively implement
- Ensure the safety of your area by complying with all Health & Safety policies and procedures and reporting any issues to the Health & Safety Manager without delay
- Work effectively, efficiently and flexibly as an effective and committed member of the overall college team and within the department team
- Adhere to all established systems within the department and implement any changes only as requested/authorised by management
- Provide clear feedback on either potential areas for training not included within the curriculum or learners issues, suggestions and ideas
- Ensure accurate record and data entry onto all systems as required by the department and senior management to enable accurate and full reporting
- Attend meetings as required to maintain knowledge and contribute to the improvement of services
Education, Achievements, Qualifications, and Training
- Qualified to a minimum of a Level 2 equivalent
- Level 2 qualification in Learning Support or similar would be desirable
- Experience of working with young people in both 1:1 and group work settings
- Experience of dealing with a variety of issues relating to supporting young people and people from a variety of backgrounds
- Experience of working in a supportive / coaching role
- Experience of working with looked after Children and learners Leaving Care would be desirable
Skills and Attributes
- Ability to establish positive and supportive working relationships with young People
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Excel and Access or similar databases
- Effective communication skills both written and oral
- Ability to keep accurate records and notes
- Commitment to providing excellent customer service
- Self-motivated and committed to own personal development
- Ability to handle multiple tasks at any one time
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Excellent time management and prioritisation skills, ability to work under pressure and to deadlines including dealing with difficult and stressful situations
- Ability to deal professionally with a wide range of people
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this job vacancy, please submit your CV to our Recruitment Team who will review your details. CV’s of Job Applicants meeting this requirement will be submitted to our Client for consideration. By submitting your job application to us you are hereby giving us your express consent to submit your details to our Client for this purpose.
PLEASE NOTE: CVs MUST be attached to your email job application in Microsoft Word or PDF format for our systems to process your application correctly, rather than your CV copied and pasted into the body of the email.
Teaching, Training / Trainer Jobs, Careers and Vacancies in London within the Beauty Industry
AWD online operates as an employment agency
awd online | http://www.awdo.co.uk